ROYAL SOCIETY OF CHEMISTRY
The Royal Society of Chemistry has engaged Madgex Limited in order to provide a specific jobs board platform (the “Platform”).
The Platform gives applicants the option to upload their CV and choose whether to make this visible to recruiters. The Royal Society of Chemistry will also have access to any personal data contained within the Platform
Any reference to 'We', 'Us' and 'Our' is The Royal Society of Chemistry (and each of its subsidiaries) as an organisation.
Any reference to 'Our websites' is to websites available with chemistryworldjobs.com, rsc.org, chemistryworld.com and chemspider.com
Any reference to 'You' and 'Your' is to you as an individual user of our websites and applications.
Protecting your data
The Royal Society of Chemistry wants to access the Platform in order to share information and news about our products and services with you. We can do this in various ways including email, post, SMS, phone or social media, but only if you would like us to.
Your privacy is very important to us, which is why we make sure you are always in control of what we do with your personal information.
Our simple promise
- We will never pass your personal details to anyone outside The Royal Society of Chemistry for them to use for their own marketing purposes unless you have previously provided us with your informed and specific consent.
- We will ensure that we obtain your express consent before we contact you by any method for any purpose.
- We will make sure our contact with you is relevant, based upon the preference information you give us.
- You can change your contact preferences at any time. All you need to do is update your preferences by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. But remember, you may miss out on important news and developments in the chemical sciences.
- Your personal information will be stored safely and will remain secure at all times.
- No statistical information which identifies you personally will be published.
- No personal information will be kept any longer than necessary in order to fulfil the purpose it was collected for, and if you ask us to, it will be deleted.
- We will always delete your personal information if requested by you to do so.
- We will always comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) (“GDPR”) and all other applicable laws and EU Directives.
Please let us know if your details change so that we can keep in touch.
The information we collect about users
We collect information the following information from the Platform: an applicants’ name, email address, last logon date, profile information, marketing consent settings, saved CV document, job applications and job alerts. We collect this information because we have a legitimate interest to ensure that your job applications are progressed and keep you updated on your application status.
We also collect this information in order to provide you with access to certain services or data within our websites and applications, we may require that you provide certain personal information. This information may include your name, postal address, telephone number, fax number, email address, subscriber name or screen name, password used to access our services or method of payment.
We automatically collect information in the following ways:
- Logging the Internet protocol (IP) address of your computer to be able to receive and send information on the Internet.
- Collecting personal data when you register or update your personal details using online forms and accounts.
- Recording data through cookies.
- Collecting other information from you from time to time as part of user experience surveys or questionnaires.
- We track the home server domain names, IP addresses, type of visitor computer, type of web browser of visitors to our websites, and specific information on what pages our visitors access.
Using your information
The Royal Society of Chemistry will process your data (for example your name, address, email address, country of residence) in accordance with your rights under the GDPR. We may process your information in any number of ways and on any databases we use for the following purposes:
- To create an electronic record of your data to enable your request for information to be processed.
- To consider any applications you make for membership.
- To help us manage your membership or run any other services we provide to you.
- To administer and manage the products and services we make available to you.
- To compile delegate lists for distribution to attendees at our events, or for advertising future courses and events promoting The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- To help us identify products and services which we think will interest you (unless you have asked us not to).
- For user account administration with The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- To assist us with statistical analysis, profiling, financial risk assessment, compliance/regulatory reporting, fraud prevention and compliance with our legal obligations, policies and procedures.
- We may also communicate with you, on behalf of other organisations, should you opt in to receiving third party communications.
Sharing your information
We take our obligations and responsibilities regarding protecting your privacy very seriously, and therefore, we exercise great care to protect the information we collect about you.
- We will share your information outside The Royal Society of Chemistry only in the following circumstances:
- Where you have consented to us doing so, and the contractor or organisation is working directly with us as a partner as a part of maintaining our activities, products, or services. Service providers and suppliers are required to keep confidential and secure the personal information received from us and may not use it for any other purpose other than as originally intended.
- To our agents or sub-contractors for operational reasons where they are providing an element of the services to you on our behalf. We rely on our legitimate interest to perform the contract in order to use your information in this way.
- For the purpose of our compliance and regulatory reporting, or to confirm your identity for anti-money laundering purposes, which may include checking of the electoral register.
- Where you have uploaded your CV and made it available for searching, viewing and downloading we may share your CV with organisation which request CV’s matching your profile. We rely on our legitimate interest to do this so that we can provide the services which you have signed up for. You can, at any time, make your CV private and in which case we will not share your CV with relevant organsiations.
- If compelled by law to do so.
Communication preferences & changes to personal details
Once you have provided your express consent for us to contact you on our behalf, or on behalf of other organisations, there are a number of methods available to you in order to change your preferences, to correct or update your personal information at any time by:
- clicking the 'unsubscribe' link in any promotional email you receive from us
- contacting our product or service team where a correction is required
- contacting us at email@example.com
- We use a Secure Site License (SSL) approved technology where appropriate.
- Pages that use this technology are flagged with a padlock symbol.
- We use secure technology in all our email communications and unless you have provided us with your clear and express consent, we do not disclose your email address to any other recipient.
- The Royal Society of Chemistry is a global organisation with subsidiary companies located around the world. This Privacy Statement establishes our global principles for the collection, use and disclosure of information gathered through our websites and applications. The country in which you are doing business with us or where the website you are visiting is located/hosted may have specific requirements concerning personal information.
- The data that we collect from you may be stored in a location outside of the European Economic Area. Where we transfer your personal information outside of the EEA, we ensure it is protected by making sure at least one of the following safeguards is in place:
- by transferring your personal information to a country that has been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection by the European Commission;
- by using specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give your personal information the same protection it has within the EEA; or
- where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the US.
We will retain your data for a period of 7 years for legal purposes, to ensure that we are able to assist you should you have any questions or feedback or if any legal issues arise.
Where we have used your personal information to contact you for marketing communications:
- we will contact you at least every 2 years to ensure you are happy to continue receiving electronic communications; or
- every 2 years to ensure you are happy to continue receiving postal and telephone communications from us.
If you tell us that you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, we promise to stop sending them to you.
Websites & services not covered by this statement
Third party websites
- Third party websites and services we link to through our websites have their own privacy policies, independent of us. We hold no responsibility or liability for these independent policies. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy policies of any third party website you visit.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website's server. Each cookie contained anonymised information about how you use our websites and applications, which allows us to improve your experience of using our products and services.
Cookies by themselves cannot be used to identify you.
Several types of cookie are used on our websites and applications:
These are temporary cookies that are saved on your computer or mobile device until you leave our website. They carry information across pages of our websites and applications, for instance:
- Remembering items in a shopping basket
- So you can remain logged in as you browse our web pages
These cookies remain on your computer for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie). They are used to:
- help us recognise you as a unique visitor (just a number) when you return to our website and allow us to tailor content based on your previous preferences
- compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us improve the website
- ensure you are not invited to complete website questionnaires too often or after you have already done so.
These cookies are produced by third party services we use to support your website experience. They are used to:
- serve advertisements on our sites and track whether these advertisements are clicked on by users
- control how often you are shown a particular advertisement
- tailor content to your preferences
- count the number of anonymous users of our sites
- provide security within shopping baskets, eg to pay for a membership subscription or a journal pay-per-view.
If you prefer, it is possible to disable cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features on our websites if cookies are disabled.
The list below provides guidance on disabling cookies on a variety of browsers and mobile devices.
How to delete cookies in Internet Explorer
How to delete cookies in Chrome
How to delete cookies in Safari
How to delete cookies in Firefox
How to delete cookies in Opera
Mobile device guidance
How to delete cookies on Apple devices
How to delete cookies on Android devices
How to delete cookies on Windows phones
How to delete cookies on Blackberry devices
To opt out of your personal information being collected by Google Analytics, please view the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
To find out more about cookies please view the Information Commissioner’s Office guide to cookies.
List of cookies we use
This list of cookies used on our websites provides a brief explanation of why they are used.
Cookies in use on www.chemistryworldjobs.com
Cookie Name and Description
User_WebSite - This is a unique userID for the logged in user - GUID
Logon_WebSite - This is a session identifier for the current logged on user - GUID
Remember_MeWebSite - base64 userId
RememberMeActivated_Website - base64 true/false
AnonymousUserId - Unique id of logged out user - GUID
BrowserSession - Multiple values uinquely identifying browser session
JobSearchCriteria - Previous search saved to cookie
LoginCookieCheck - This is used during the login process to to check that user has cookies enabled
Session_Jobseeker - This is used to track a jobseeker session - note only initiated when a jobseeker action takes place (e.g. Search) or a user logs in
Session_CandidateCVServices - This is used to track a candidate cv services session
User_CandidateCVServices - This is a unique userID for the logged in user - GUID
Logon_CandidateCVServices - This is a session identifier for the current logged on user - GUID
JobListing - Used on the search pages to remember settings like Compact when they choose Less Detail etc.
WebSite_LatestJobSearchPage - This is the page number of the last search - I can't see that this is used anymore it may be legacy.
WebSite_LatestJobSearchCount - The count of the number of jobs found on the last page of search results
WebSite_LatestJobSearchItems - A CSV list of the job ids displayed on the last jobs search listing page
WebSite_LatestJobSearchListingPage - The search page number of the current list of jobs (e.g. Page 4 of 10)
WebSite_LatestJobSearchPageSize - The max number of jobs displayed on the job search page listing
WebSite_LatestJobSearchOrder - The display order that the jobs are listed in (0=relavence,1=Date,2=Salary)
WebSite_LatestJobSearchID - A unique reference to the search ID peformed on the jobsite. Value increments every time a search is carried out on the jobsite.
WebSite_LatestSearchRecruiterID - If the search can be linked to a recruiter then this is the recruiter ID
WebSite_LatestSearchFirstJobID - If the first job in the search is shown on the current search page, then this is it's ID. Otherwise -1.
WebSite_LatestSearchLastJobID - If the last job in the search is shown on the current search page then this is it's ID. Otherwise -1 will be used.
WebSite_SearchPageLink - The Browse URL used to reach this search page on the jobsite.
CampaignClickThroughID - If the user clicks on a campaign email this value will contain the Guid of that campaign.
JBEClickThroughID - The JBEID of the JBE the user clicked on
JBEClickThroughJobID - The jobid the user clicked on inside the JBE.
RSSClickThroughJobID - The jobid the user clicked on when viewing the RSS feed.
WidgetClickThroughDomain - The domain the user was referred from when clicking on a widget job link.
WidgetClickThroughJobID - The jobid the user clicked on when viewing the job widget.
iPhoneClickThroughJobID - The jobid the user clicked on when viewing a job in the iphone app.
cookie-message - To determine whether a visitor has seen the cookie banner/widget notification before (either true or false)
DoubleSubmit_SITENAME_ResponsiveJobSeeker - Used to defend against cross site request forgery
JSMRI - Insights - count of sessions and the date of the current and last sessions
RSMRI - Insights - count of sessions and the date of the current and last sessions
CMSMRI - Insights - count of sessions and the date of the current and last sessions
AWSELB - Used for AWS load balancing
Your rights under data protection laws
You have various rights under the data protection laws, which you can exercise by contacting us. The easiest way to do this is by email at DPO@rsc.org
Subject access rights
Applicants can view the personal information held on them by visiting their account pages on the Platform, once authenticated on the job board. There they can view their job alerts, applications, profile information including CV document and marketing consent settings.
As a data controller, we can view the personal information held on data subjects via the Platform. This will provide detail on an applicants’ name, email address, last logon date, profile information, marketing consent settings, saved CV document, job applications and job alerts.
The Platform does not make use of a data subjects’ personal information for automated decision-making or profiling, nor is any personal information used for analytical tracking. Any information used for analytical tracking is anonymised and therefore outside the scope of GDPR.
Any Subject Access Requests received directly by Madgex first line support from the data subject will be redirected to us.
You can request that your personal data is transferred directly to another 'data controller' at any time. You can request your stored CV document via the Platform and it will be provided in its original format, your data subject profile can also be downloaded via the Platform in CSV format if required. You are also able to access your stored CV document via your account profile
Right to request a correction
You can request access their stored CV document via their account profile or if requested this can also be obtained via the Platform. You can also request that we correct or update your personal data at any time to ensure that your information is accurate and up to date.
Right to be forgotten
We may be required to archive your personal information however, we will not retain personal data for longer than is necessary for the purpose we obtained it and only in accordance with our Document Retention Policy. You have the right to request that we delete your personal information in the following circumstances:
- where the purpose for collecting your personal information no longer exists and we are not obliged to retain all or any part of your personal information for legal reasons;
- where we needed your consent to use your personal information and you have withdrawn your consent;
- when you object to our use of your personal information and we have no compelling reason to carry on handling your personal information;
- if our handling of your personal information has broken the law; or
- when we must erase your personal information to comply with a law we are subject to.
Those with appropriate access rights to the Platform are able delete user accounts. The deletion of a user account will remove all associated information relating to the user including job applications, jobs/courses by email requests, profile details and resume documents.
Madgex may retain the primary user record but all personal information is anonymised.
Information retained within backup media will be removed in accordance to the backup retention schedule. Madgex will not remove data from backups dynamically.
Right to restriction
You can restrict our processing of your personal information where:
- you think we hold inaccurate personal information about you;
- our handling of your personal information breaks the law, but you do not want us to delete it;
- we no longer need to process your personal information, but you want us to keep it for legal reasons; or
- where we are handling your personal information because we have a legitimate interest and are in the process of objecting to this use of your personal information.
Where you exercise your right to restrict us from using your personal information, we will then only process your personal information when you agree, except for storage purposes and to handle legal claims.
If requested to, you can restrict the processing of a data subject by suppressing, 1. marketing consent opt-ins and 2. If applicable, the CV search visibility setting.
This will prevent a data subject appearing in recipient lists when using the Job Target application and appearing in recruiter CV search results.
We will not contact you about our related products or services or send you any other communications if you have indicated that you do not want to receive these. In this case, your name will be included in appropriate suppression lists.
Withdrawing your consent
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our right to change this privacy statement
This Privacy Statement may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our online information practices. We will indicate at the top of the statement when it was most recently updated. We recommend that you visit our Privacy Statement page whenever you visit our websites so that you are aware of any changes.